Is Digital Advertising Peaking?

Is Digital Advertising Peaking?


Digital advertising is supposed to be the fuel of the future, funding new companies that provide us with services we never knew we wanted – Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, etc. – while tearing away at our privacy.

But there’s a problem.

Digital advertising is annoying users, and starting to creep us out.

I don’t want to see ads for lightweight jackets for the next three months just because I searched for one last November.

And by the way, isn’t that a bit backward? If I already bought the jacket, why is it still being marketed to me?

But advertisers aren’t deterred! In fact, they’re rather emboldened, spurred on by the fact that everyone from Facebook to PayPal will share the most intimate details of their users’ data, allowing companies to tailor their message and target their ads in ways that were unthinkable just a decade ago.

Investors get in on the act by extrapolating the digital advertising revenue of behemoths like Google and Facebook to other companies, then estimating that newcomers like Pinterest and Snap could be worth untold billions.

But what if that doesn’t happen?

READ MORE »

Trending Stories...

The Link Between the New Zealand and Sri Lanka Tragedies

Last Wednesday, I wrote to you about the 70-year Globe Buster – the second iteration of the 35-year Geopolitical Cycle that brings with it chaos and global agony during its negative turn. And man! This cycle has truly been brutal. 9/11. Civil wars. The Arab Spring. Mass shootings. White supremacist terror attacks. In fact, more...

Look East for the Next Great Opportunity

I'm travelling to Australia on Sunday for my third six-city tour in 14 months. I've been looking at the countries near them that they export to… and it just keeps reminding me that the biggest opportunity that will come out of the big crash ahead – when the Dark Window slams shut – is going...

The Good Path to Greater Income Inequality

I want the difference between median pay and a top earner to get bigger. A lot bigger. It's not that I want average workers to earn less… I'm just hoping that a top earner can make more. And I've got a specific top earner in mind. It's not Michael Corbat, CEO of Citigroup, who was...

The 70-Year Globe Buster is Almost Over

Conspiracy theorists are out in force, proclaiming the Notre Dame Cathedral fire an intentional act against the Catholic faith just days before Easter. Paris officials denounced the idea, pointing to the more likely cause being an unfortunate accident during the $6.8 million renovation project that was under way in the landmark. I don't believe the...

We'll Pay the Retirement Bill for Many

I find myself thinking more about retirement. I don't want to trade my daily routine for the cruise ship, but I'm developing a laser focus on generating more income that I can put away for later use… which explains my latest business foray into the golf cart rental business. The venture is turning a profit...

No comments:

Post a Comment