I (Sort of) Want an Airstream for Christmas

I (Sort Of) Want an Airstream for Christmas


I’ve written for years that I want a towable trailer, but not just any one. I want an Airstream. My wife thinks they look like rolling baked potatoes due to their aluminum outer skin, so she calls them Bak-o-Foil.

As long-time readers and those who attend our conferences know, I’m not dying to camp in national parks, or join the legions of “Airstream Addicts” that go to the Albuquerque Balloon Festival. I want a trailer so I can park myself in front of my kids’ homes when they produce grandchildren.

It hasn’t happened yet, but I’m a planner.

I don’t think my wife is on board because I don’t see a trailer under the tree, or even in the yard. She’s pretty smart, so she probably knows the truth. It’s not really the Airstream I’m after. I want time.

When my kids were young, I was always aware that they were with us for just a brief amount of time, and even then, they were pulled in many directions by sports, clubs, and friends. I never wished for them to be older. I often told my youngest that I was going to take her back to the store and trade her in for a younger version. I knew we had just a few short years before they’d become young adults and have commitments of their own. Eventually, they’d plan their visits home by the day, or by the hour, or not at all. Not out of ill-will, but out of necessity as they created their own lives.

Through luck and some odd timing, all three are home today, it’s the first time we’ve gathered in a year. I intend to spend every minute with them, even as I devise ways to get more of their time in the future.

Time is one of the love languages, or the ways in which we show we care for others. I hope that you share the gift of time with those you care about this Christmas even if, like me, you don’t get an Airstream.

Merry Christmas!

Rodney Johnson's signature

Rodney Johnson

Trending Stories...

Global Growth Falling: First China, Now India

The central banks' job of keeping this big, fat ugly bubble going is just going to get harder. Not only are they fighting record debt and falling demographic trends in the developed world – with my hierarchy of indicators all pointing down – they are fighting record debt in the emerging world and slowing growth...

Forecasting Financial Asset Bubbles

Today's rant is a preview of January's Boom & Bust, which we're putting out to subscribers early this round because of the holidays beginning next week. I believe that this upcoming issue is one of the most essential and all-encompassing reports on the current financial bubble, both in terms of how we got to this...

We Need More Global Shopping

Years ago, I can remember my mom coming home from a day of shopping around the holidays and announcing that she'd saved over $600. My dad immediately asked the obvious question. How much had that savings cost? As we peruse the online and brick-and-mortar malls this last week before Christmas, we're barraged with seemingly great...

Housing Bubbles Are Bad for the Economy…

How can the same houses go up far faster than inflation for decades, and that possibly be good for an economy? It only benefits older people who bought earlier, and the affluent who buy the most expensive ones that tend to bubble the most. I was just in Australia speaking to my favorite country and...

Seasons Greetings, Unwilling Lender

I haven't worked in a traditional office in a long time. I miss some of the camaraderie, the ability to bounce ideas around, and the occasional happy hour. But I don't miss some of the personnel issues that pop up, like friction among co-workers, bad-smelling lunches wafting through the office, and the annual Secret Santa....

No comments:

Post a Comment